OTTAWA – Capital Sports Management Inc. (the operator of the Bell, Cavanagh and Richcraft Sensplex facilities) announced today the Richcraft Sensplex has reached 100 days from its official opening on Aug. 5, 2014.
The Richcraft Sensplex, an east-end facility, will be a four-pad ice surface complex that will incorporate the existing J.B. Potvin Arena at 813 Shefford Road. The facility, which is currently being built by Ottawa Community Ice Partners, in partnership with the City of Ottawa, Senators Sports & Entertainment and Morley Hoppner Limited, will include, in addition to the Potvin Arena, three new National Hockey League-size ice surfaces, food and beverage concessions, a full-service restaurant and bar overlooking the ice surfaces and complimentary retail and office space.
“The excitement continues to build as the project really takes shape,” said Geoff Publow, Senators Sports & Entertainment vice-president of strategic development. “The Richcraft Sensplex is on schedule to open on August 5, and we feel that the contribution to the hockey and skating community will be immediate and significant. There has been a very strong response to the registration for programming and we’ve already booked over 70 per cent of our ice time, which is more than 10,000 hours.”
Development and construction is on schedule and the much-anticipated addition to Ottawa’s recreation community will be ready for use in the first week of August. Upon the completion of construction, residents will be able to enjoy a significant increase in the availability of ice time with the addition of three new rinks, including 2,227 hours of prime ice time to be resold to the community at the City’s minor sport ice rental rates.
Ottawa Community Ice Partners, a not-for-profit organization, will own and operate the facility for the 30 year term of the agreement, at which time it will be purchased by the City for one dollar.
An update on the construction and programming activities thus far at the Richcraft Sensplex:
- Construction is currently in full swing, with over 80 tradespersons on site every day.
- Of the three new ice surfaces, two of the new cement slabs have been poured. The cooling pipes of the third ice surface are currently being installed, with the pouring of the third slab to take place in early May.
- The facelift and rehabilitation of the existing Potvin Arena has begun and will be ready for the August opening.
- More than 10,000 hours of ice have been booked for the 2014-15 season, which represents over 70 per cent of the planned usage in year one.
- To date, more than 150 children have registered for the Ottawa Senators Summer Hockey Camps taking place this August at the Richcraft Sensplex.
- There has been a better-than-anticipated early response to the inaugural season of the Ottawa Senators Adult Hockey League (OSAHL) east divisions to be held at the Richcraft Sensplex, with more than 30 teams confirmed.
- Multi-year ice purchase agreements have been signed with seven different minor hockey and ringette associations.
- The Richcraft Sensplex is scheduled to host 21 tournaments involving more than 1,000 teams in the 2014-15 winter hockey season.
- Registration is now open for all competitive tournaments to be hosted at the Richcraft Sensplex for the 2014-15 winter hockey season. The first tournament – hosted by the Gloucester Rangers – will take place the weekend of Sept. 5-7.
Registration details and additional information on Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs, the OSAHL and ice rentals can be found by visiting www.sensplex.ca.
- end -
|Back to top ↑|