Bulletin: Ottawa Senators launch 20th anniversary season
The Senators’ season theme for 2011-12 will be “Hockey Makes Us,” a representation of what the game means to players, fans and the community.
“This will be a special season for Senators fans,” said Senators president Cyril Leeder. “From the all-star game to a new heritage jersey and special promotions and tributes, we look to recognize the great moments from the last 20 years, while embracing why hockey makes us such big Senators fans."
“Canada is the home of hockey and our city is proud to have the Senators as such an important part of our community,” said Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson. “The Sens’ 20th anniversary season will be a celebration of a great partnership between the people of Ottawa and the team.”
The 20th anniversary season will kick off with members of the first group of modern Senators, the 1992-93 team, as guests for opening night on Oct. 11, when Ottawa hosts the Minnesota Wild.
“I have been part of this team and this community for more than 16 years,” said Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson. “Having the all-star game here as we celebrate our 20th anniversary will make this season a special one for the fans, both on and off the ice.”
The 2011-12 season will feature many special promotions, providing fans with additional reason to celebrate 20 years of the club’s existence in Ottawa. Some highlights of the 20th anniversary season include:
- The all-star celebration, a week-long event that will culminate with the 2012 NHL All-Star Game on Sunday, Jan. 29, at Scotiabank Place.
- The Senators will debut their heritage jerseys, which will be unveiled closer to the start of the regular season, on Thursday, Oct. 13, when the team hosts the Colorado Avalanche. All fans in attendance will receive a special Senators heritage pin. The jersey will be worn by the Senators on 11 different occasions during the 2011-12 campaign.
- Recognizing both the early era of Senators hockey, including the teams that won 11 Stanley Cups, and the modern-day Ottawa franchise.
- On opening night, fans will receive a commemorative 20th anniversary Senators pin, while members of the ‘original’ 1992-93 Senators will be present.
- There will be a numbers of unique theme nights to recognize many of the great moments of the modern-era Senators, including a Roger Neilson tribute and a salute to the first Senators playoff team.
- The 2011-12 Senators schedule includes the return of the Winnipeg Jets to Ottawa on two occasions (Oct. 20 and Jan. 16), hosting a game on Hockey Day in Canada (Feb. 11 versus Edmonton) and a Montreal Canadiens/Toronto Maple Leafs weekend of back-to-back contests on March 16 and 17.
- The team’s pre-season games, opening night (Oct. 11), and three and five-game packages will go on sale to the public on Friday, Aug. 12, while all remaining regular-season single-game tickets will be available for purchase on Friday, Sept. 9.
- Senators season-seat owners will be rewarded for their loyal support by having the opportunity to experience the league’s most extensive flexible benefits. Season-seat owners have the chance to select from a range of more than 60 exciting VIP privileges to suit their personal preferences.