News Release: Senators hold annual development camp, presented by Sport Chek, from July 3 to July 9
All seven picks from the 2013 NHL Draft will attend
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators today released the schedule and list of 40 players attending the team’s annual development camp, presented by Sport Chek, which will take place from Wednesday, July 3, to Tuesday, July 9, at Canadian Tire Centre and the Bell Sensplex. The club has invited five goaltenders, 11 defencemen and 24 forwards.
Each of the club’s seven selections from the 2013 NHL Draft, held Sunday in Newark, N.J., will attend. Fans will get their first chance to welcome Curtis Lazar, a centre from the Edmonton Oil Kings who the Senators selected with their first-round pick (17th overall).
The development camp, which focuses on off-ice and on-ice training, is led by Randy Lee, the Senators’ director of hockey operations and player development, and members of the team’s coaching staff including Senators assistant coaches Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds, development consultant Jason Smith, goaltending coach Rick Wamsley, video coach Tim Pattyson, conditioning coach Chris Schwarz, Binghamton Senators head coach Luke Richardson, B-Sens assistant coach Steve Stirling and power-skating specialist Marc Power.
Highlights of the Senators development camp schedule:
• On-ice training every day at the Bell Sensplex, starting Wednesday, July 3, with the exception of the camp’s final day, Tuesday, July 9, which features the 3-on-3 tournament. Wednesday’s on-ice session will begin at 1:30 p.m.
• After 2010’s inaugural evening scrimmage (5-on-5), the event will once again be featured for a fourth consecutive year on Saturday, July 6, at 6:45 p.m. at the Bell Sensplex. The scrimmage will be followed by a meet and greet reception with Senators season-seat owners in the fieldhouse on the lower level of the Sensplex.
• The annual 3-on-3 tournament is set to take place at the Bell Sensplex on Tuesday, July 9, at 9:30 a.m.
• Off-ice strength and conditioning workouts.
• Outdoor team-building event the afternoon of Monday, July 8.
• Vision training session for goaltenders at Dynamic Edge Sports Vision Training Centre. Additional goaltender training sessions to take place at the Complete Hockey Development Centre (145 Iber Rd.).
• Specialized sport nutrition seminars held by nutrition specialists Bruce Bonner and Molly Morgan.
• Planning for success and sport psychology seminars.
• Position specific video meetings and on-ice sessions.
• All on-ice workouts, including the team scrimmage and 3-on-3 tournament, will be open to the public.
• Daily media availability and schedule updates will be available at www.ottawasenators.com in addition to the team’s social media platforms.
Highlights of the players coming to the development camp:
• Twenty-two (22) players, marked on the list below with an asterisk (*), attended the Senators development camp in 2012.
• Thirteen (13) players spent at least a portion of their 2012-13 season skating for the American Hockey League’s Binghamton Senators.
• Twenty-seven (27) of 40 players attending are Senators draft picks and five were selected in the first round.
• Six prospects have local connections. Cody Ceci is a native of Orleans, Ont. while Francois Brassard, Vincent Dunn and Mathieu Gagnon are natives of Gatineau, Que. Jean-Gabriel Pageau was born in Ottawa and spent the majority of his major junior hockey career with the Olympiques, while Shane Prince spent the last two-and-a-half seasons of his major junior career with the Ottawa 67’s (where he was a teammate of Ceci’s).
• Five prospects played NHL games for Ottawa last season: Cory Conacher, Derek Grant, Pageau, Mark Stone and Mika Zibanejad.
Click here for the complete 2013 development camp roster.
- end -